Yesterday, my RE's office decided to return my call from 4 days ago (6 if you count the weekend). The IVF coordinator apologized for not getting back to me sooner but explained that they are right in the middle of October's IVF cycle. You know, the cycle I was supposed to be in before I had to make responsible financial decisions. Blah! Thanks for rubbing it in lady! She did give me some dates and details
-November 10th: Mock Transfer. I didn't do one of these with my first IVF cycle, no sure why though.
-Call ASAP when AF shows up so they can get me in for blood work and antral follicle count. I'm expecting AF around November 18
-November 30th: Mike goes in for his part of the labs. Infectious disease blood work and a "sample" for his semen analysis. I am sure he is going to be THRILLED about this, but oh well. If I have to have a huge needle in my lady parts the least he can do is donate a few "boys" for testing. HAHAH!
It looks like I will start my stims in mid January and ER (egg retrieval) at the end of January.
All of that is fine and dandy but we have a little problem and I need your help. I am so torn about this. While on the phone with my nurse she was going over the my insurance coverage and what I can expect to pay for. She was breaking it all down for me. 20% of IVF, 20% of ICSI, etc... Finally she got to cryopreservation, (AKA: Freezing our embryos) and our insurance covers NOTHING! Now, and I always say this, I don't want to sound ungrateful because I know we are extremely lucky to have our IVF coverage. However, I do recall them telling me that this was covered when I first called to get our benefits. I called our insurance company to check and she was right. They cover nothing for freezing and storage. I'm gonna type this part in bullet points, and not because I'm annoyed this time. Mainly because I think I am going to ramble and make zero sense if I don't. Here are the facts.
-It will cost us an extra 1800 to have our embryos frozen. I know this doesn't sound like that much money but we are already forking out a large chunk of change for the first cycle.
-Under our insurance plan we have 6 IVF cycles covered (and another 6 FET's) so if we don't get pregnant from our IVF cycle in Jan we can do another fresh cycle for FREE a few months later (because we will have already paid our max out of pocket for the year so after this first IVF cycle, everything else will be covered 100% until next Jan)
- It would suck to not get pregnant and have to wait 3 months (which from what I hear from my fellow IVF bloggers is the standard wait time between IVF cycles). You can usually do a FET (Frozen embryo transfer) alot sooner.
-I'm getting older, I'll be 30 in February so each time we do a fresh IVF cycle we risk the quality of my eggs not being as good as the cycle before. This is kinda silly I know but this is the kind of crap infertile woman worry about, how much egg quality will deteriorate in 3 freaking months. HAHAHA!
-UGH, I don't wanna do another fresh cycle. They are so hard on me, both physically and emotionally.
- Our last IVF cycle worked the first try. I know that it doesn't mean we are going to be that lucky again this time. What if we are though? But then again, what if we are not, especially since I am only allowing them to put 2 embies back in this time. We put back 3 when we got pregnant with London, so I'm afraid only putting 2 back won't result in a pregnancy, which will mean we NEED to have some frozen.
-I am assuming we would have something to actually freeze. Last time I had 7 left, but who knows if we will even have any this time. This whole debate might be for NOTHING.
I flop back and forth between wanting to freeze and not wanting to freeze.
Right now, I think I will save the money. Do this fresh cycle and another fresh if we have to. Next cycle go ahead and freeze that way I don't have to potentially do 3 fresh cycles in a row. We also won't have to fork out another $1800 bucks if we don't need to.
Who knows what I am going to think tomorrow though.
*FYI: unused embryos will be donated